Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Wednesday's Hodgepodge (Question Nr. 3)

Joyce from "This side of the Pond" used a question I had sent in for her Hodgepodge Wednesday, so how could I NOT answer it too?
I've been too busy to read many blogs or comment, so I barely noticed that she had chosen my question. But I have many answers for that question....




My question was: 3. What was your last kitchen 'mishap'?

People who know me well, know I have had many mishap's. I've burned many a cookie in my time and also an instruction booklet. That was when I got a new counter top oven for my birthday and turned it on to try it out, without looking inside first, which is where the booklet was....

When I smelled smoke, I thought to myself "hmmm, do new ovens always smell so bad??" I came just in time to stomp out the flames.... LOL!

But my most recent mishap was every time I baked something in my oven it smelled so burned. The food I had baked wasn't burned so I couldn't figure out what was the matter.
Till one day I finally knelt down on my knees to see what was causing this and found this in the bottom of the oven:


Guess what it is? No not the piece of dog poo it looks like...hahaha

I sometimes toast stale rolls and I had done so a while back. When I took them out I didn't realize one roll had fallen off the cookie sheet and was baking along every time I baked something new...

Or the other time I reheated a casserole, and forgot to take off the (plastic) lid.
This is what you get from that:

And yes, I do enjoy documenting my own mishap's with photos and my own amusement. What is funnier than laughing at ourselves?


11 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You are a chef with the same talents I have!

Jeanie said...

My kitchen mishaps seem to involve cutting or burning myself....maybe that is why I don't spend a whole lot of time in the kitchen these days.

That corgi :) said...

I think it was a great question you submitted for the Hodgepodge Betty. I haven't had too many kitchen mishaps since I don't do much cooking, but I did burn eggs the first time I tried to make breakfast for hubby years ago. I do think we learn from them; I am sure you'll be careful with what goes into the oven in the future and make sure the plastic lid is off :)

betty

Kay said...

Oops! I've never seen what a melted casserole lid looked like. Wow!

Debbie said...

That melted lid reminds me of life after menopause. Every day is a misshap in my kitchen. LOL!

Anita said...

Happy New Year Betty!

Those are all funny mishaps. I wonder what will be next? lol

grammy said...

I am always turning on the oven with something forgotten in there!!! Love the melted green lid (o: I just looked at a lot of your past pictures and stories. Big changes in your life with weddings.... next it will be Grand-babies (o: A few weeks ago it was below zero here and today it feels like Spring with 50 degree weather. I am sure we will be back to cold before the real Spring comes. Betty, I am with you on the weight thing. I know how to do it and refuse to be defeated. We can do this!!!

I love the way you went through the year and wrote about things that happened. I don't even know if I could remember anything.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Oh how I can relate to this Betty. I once "baked" an already baked chicken pot pie that I'd forgotten to remove a week earlier after I'd decided not to eat it. I yiyi.

Happy new year! xo jj

Lilly said...

Lol Betty. You always make me smile and believe me I dentify with some of those mishaps. Ummmm... just last night I had smoke coming out of the oven. I forgot to turn it off. Then alarms started going throughout the house. I do not like cooking at all really so I dont get much practice at using the oven.

Hope you had a great holiday period and I hope you have recovered from the wedding and all is well with you and your family.

Happy 2013 Betty.

Unknown Mami said...

Your kitchen mishaps make for good blog fodder. Happy New Year!

Julie said...

So your my sister in the kitchen. :o)
I love when you share like this. It's cool to see how others handle mishaps.
Hope life is treating you grandly and you are enjoying your warmth. We haven't been above zero for a week and our night time temps are -20-30's and daytime minus teens. Today we did get to about 5 below. It's killing all the bugs so no complaints from me...at least not to many complaints.
Take care Betty and have an great TGIF! Blessings!!