Monday, April 15, 2013

March/April happenings

Here we are again. March has gone and April is flying by as well.
Not sure if I posted about changing my job on here. I was working part time at a job I liked, but there were many hours spent surfing the internet, thinking about food, doing NOTHING. There was just not enough work for that job. So when a colleague quit, my boss asked me to fill her position and my previous work was given to someone who already worked here and was able to take on the extra load. The position I filled, is more of a reception kind of job. Very different from what I was doing, but up till now I´m enjoying it. There is always something going on and I get to move around a lot. I don´t have as much time to be bored  think and that is good for my bank account (because when I'm bored I shop online...) and my body. haha
That also explains the lack of posting. Plus I´m stepping up on my exercise. I´m walking more again and trying to get the weight back down, that I had gained.This is the office I'm working in now.

Below are some pics of events that happened in the past month.
We had a "goodbye dinner" for the co-worker that left. Our boss has a handmade oven (called tapacua) at home and was always telling us how good the pizza tastes, made in one of those. So now he invited us to his house and made us a huge pizza in his oven.

It really was huge. 10 people plus 4 kids were satisfied after this meal. And is was really VERY good!


Notice to normal size pizza in back...
 On my walk one day I came across these passion fruit flowers. The were hanging over a fence and I thought they looked exquisite.

Another event that will forever stay in our minds was the passing of our dear friend and cousin Evald W. He was 53 years old and we last saw him and his wife, when they came for a visit in 2011. Who knew that would be a goodbye forever.
The day before Good Friday he came home from work and was doing some yard work outside, when he suddenly had a massive heart attack. When his wife went to look for him, he had already passed.  Totally unexpected and totally shocking for us all!


He was a new granddad and him and Anni were enjoying this new stage in life. He was very active in his church and will leave a huge empty spot there. Evald was a very loving husband and adored his wife. I know she will have a hard time, she will feel so lost and I pray she can find some new meaning in this new part of life God sees fit to place her in.

This really brought to mind, that ANY day, can be the day that will end your life. We should live accordingly. We should be aware that our lives are meant to be lived, so that others can see God's light in us. I know Evald lived like that. Hopefully I can too.



10 comments:

Mari said...

Your new posiition sounds goo and I'm proud of you for walking - I need to get back at it.
Sorry for the loss of your friend. My FIL passed of a heart attack at 52. So young!

Kathleen McCoy said...

Sounds like you're doing great, Betty! Congratulations on the new job and on stepping up the exercise! You're so right about smelling the flowers and savoring life: we really never know. Everyone in the older generations on both sides of my family died suddenly of cardiac problems. So I'm very aware how fragile life is. That said, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend. He died way too young!

Joyce said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your cousin Betty. He sounds like a special man. Congratulations on your new job! Hope you enjoy doing something new.

Cicero Sings said...

What a pleasant looking man your cousin ... I feel for his wife having to come to terms with this sudden loss. Been there done that almost 3 years ago now ... 3 years in June coming up.

Glad you are enjoying your new job and it looks like you have a pleasant office. Do you have a window I wonder? I so love a window where I work.

Marla said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the unexpected passing of your cousin. He was too young, with a new grandbaby...sometimes it just doesn't make sense. Good luck with your new job!

Jeanie said...

Time does seem to just fly by sometimes....hard to believe we are so close to May. It sounds like you are staying really busy, but all a good kind of busy. That giant pizza looks really good.
I'm so sorry about the loss of Evald.

Kay said...

The pizza looks wonderful, but such sad news too. I've lost so many relatives these past two months. It's so sad, isn't it? Evald looked so happy.

Joanna Jenkins said...

What a shock that must have been. I'm so sorry for your loss and will say a prayer for his family. So sad.

Congrats on the new job. It's sounds interesting and I hope the days passes quickly for you.

And that pizza!!1 OMGosh! That looks delicious. YUM.

xo jj

Karin said...

My sympathies to you and the whole family on the sudden passing of Evald. That is always such a shock. Glad you can all be there for his widow and his family.
--Looks like you are having fun in that new office. That's a mighty pizza - never have I seen one THAT big! Looks yummy! Interesting outdoor oven - I've heard of them! Blessings to you!!

Anita said...

You sound chipper, Betty! It's been a couple weeks since you wrote this post. I hope things are still going well for you.

I'm sorry about your cousin and friend. He was so young. Throughout my life, I've known, or heard about, several men who have had heart attacks while gardening/doing lawn work. We really should visit our doctors more often.

I know he will be missed. Blessings and prayers for his wife and family.

Your advice is a good reminder to live life fully.