Monday, May 6, 2013

Buenos Aires 2013

Yes, I went to Buenos Aires!
It was so exciting. My first solo tour. Ok, it was with my SIL, so not all alone, but it was both our first times making such a tour.

Arami travel agency  offered a 4 day tour to see Buenos Aires and do some shopping. Because our currency is stronger than the Argentinian Peso, it was an offer we couldn´t refuse.
Unfortunately Argentinian women are ALL skinny, because me and my SIL (who is also a bit on the heavy side) could NOT find any clothes that fit our sizes...We didn´t have enough time to explore many areas of the city, or I´m sure we would have found something, but as it was, we bought many gifts for our family and friends and only a few things for ourselves.
BUT..........that didn´t matter. Because we had such a good time otherwise. We laughed a lot and enjoyed seeing the sights. We walked and walked and enjoyed exploring the city. It is filled with old buildings and huge palaces from the past. You really feel like you are in Europe, not in South America.
Our hotel was right in the city center and it was easy to get to everything quickly. We arrived on Thursday night. It was already really late (after 11), but we all didn´t want to go to sleep. So we went to the famous "Puerto madero" (located only blocks from our hotel). We found an overpriced restaurant, but we were so giddy for being there, we didn´t care. We had some overpriced drinks and laughed our heads off....and didn´t get to bed until 1:30. :)

Celebrating our arrival

Friday we took a city tour and saw many monuments and old buildings with impressive architecture. It really is amazing how they have restored all those old palaces.


The famous obelisk


Puerto madero
In the afternoon we went shopping/sightseeing. After the late night on Thursday we were so tired on this second evening, that we just went to a nearby cafe for a small dinner. Buenos Aires is filled with little cafes that have their tables on the sidewalks and you can sit and watch the traffic or just "people watch".

Saturday we were given the choice of another tour to a different part of the city or just to go shopping again. Since we hadn´t really found anything for ourselves the day before, we decided to make it a shopping day. We explored 3 different areas of the city center and still could not find clothes in our size. That´s why in the end, we decided Buenos Aires did not have fat people (I actually only saw very few bigger people).

So, we decided to take our hotel up on their offer for a massage. That is how we ended our shopping day.
...just imagine that was me...

The evening was the highlight of the whole trip. We went to the "Cafe de los Angelitos" (check out the link, you´ll get a great idea of where we were) where we had a great dinner and live tango dancing.
We were not allowed to take pictures, but me being the rebel I am...took some, just for the memory.




When we got back to the hotel we I didn´t want to let the night end, so I persuaded 3 other ladies to take a night time tour (with a taxi) to the obelisk with me. I wanted to get a perfect picture of the monument, but just as we were circling the area, we witnessed how a tourist got robbed of his backpack. That was pretty sobering and we just made some pics from afar and went back to the hotel.



The next morning it meant getting up at 5 and heading to the airport at 6 a.m. That was hard! But like I said to the others, "We only had such a short time there, we could sleep at home". haha

When I think back, all I remember is how much we laughed and what great a time we had. A perfect little getaway from our everyday lives. I´m very thankful to my hubby for letting me do this.


Another pic of the obelisk, which shows better where we were.

This pic is from the internet, because I just couldn´t get a good one


18 comments:

Frizzy said...

I WANT TO GO! I WISH I COULD'VE GONE! Looks like fun but I wouldn't have enjoyed the shopping. Especially if I couldn't find any clothes in my size. BOOO HISSS!

LOL

Mari said...

What fun! I'm so glad you were able to go and enjoy yourself. Good thing I don't live there. I'd have to take up sewing or running around naked which wouldn't be a pretty picture. :)

gigihawaii said...

What gorgeous pictures. I would love to visit South America.

Joyce said...

My husband has been and loves it, but says the traffic is insane. Glad you had a fun get away...wish I lived close enough for an Argentinian getaway : )

Debsdailylife said...

What a wonderful time!!! So glad you were able to go!! Love to laugh with those we love!!!
Thanks for sharing!!

Jeanie said...

With all that you did, the laughing together sounds like the most fun. I'm so glad you got to make this trip.

Joanna Jenkins said...

I'm officially jealous!!! This looks like a fantastic trip, Betty. I'm so glad you were able to go.

And tango dancing! That would have been the icing on the cake for me. Wow.

Hope you and the ladies can make a trip again soon.

xoxo jj

Empty Nester said...

Fantastic trip! Next time, wait for me!!! :)

Julie said...

Ohh.. looks like such a neat experience! And a good way to get to know your SIL better ?
A memory to treasure !

Cicero Sings said...

Laughter is such good medicine ... so glad you indulged so heartily. Looks like a great place to explore ... especially with friends.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

What an amazing trip! I'm glad you could go (and sneak in a dancing pic, too). :)

Anita said...

Aside from having fun relationships, blogging has opened my eyes to many things that are not part of my daily routine.

Like here: I've learned that the structure you have pictured is an obelisk; not just a name for it - so that let's me know that our WAshington DC monument is an "obelisk." Somehow I missed that in Geometry or History class. :)

This was an enjoyable read. I love to hear when people have a break and get to have fun!

And your fat girl/skinny girl jokes are funny!

Mrs. Miles said...

Hi Betty,

Gee, thank you for taking us along with you (without the jet lag on our part haha)

It appears you had a lovely time and its so great to share new experiences with friends and family.

Sorry its been like... FOREVER since I came and dropped in on you, I've been in a creative cloud.

Hope you're having a great day.

♥ Barb

Kay said...

Wow! I'm so glad you've had such a great time traveling too, Betty. Great photos! You look very elegant and healthy.

I am now posting about our stay in Xi'an. How amazing that your sister is living there. That's so interesting.

Grace @ Sandier Pastures said...

Hi Betty!! Remember me? Grace @ Sandier Pastures from Dubai! It's been a while since I last visited your blog!

I see that you're still in South America - I am still in Dubai!

Nice to 'see' you again!

Karin said...

So glad you had a fabulous time with your SIL. Girl's time is always great and lots of fun. I'm very happy that my friends are spending some time with me right now. Out for supper last night - out for lunch tomorrow - out for the occasional coffee. It's so great for me to have this support!!

Kathy said...

Hi Betty! Looks like a great trip! We have stopped there for mini-vacations on either our way in or out of Paraguay and I've loved it every time! It seems to be an enchanted place! I'm glad we went when we did because I read that now Americans must have a visa and I didn't need one before. I don't think we'll go again! Anyway, glad you had a fun time! Have a nice weekend!

Julie said...

Dang am I slow in stopping by. But you haven't posted in a bit either so...are we even? Nope, I need to stop by more often. Anyways, this trip looked awesome and such a great way to spend time with you SIL.
Hope all is well. Take care and have a blessed weekend!